It is mandatory in a City operating under the City Managers Plan that the Board of Commissioners establishes the Office of City Manager. The Manager is appointed by vote of a majority of the members on the Board for an indefinite term and shall be removable only by a vote of a majority of the Board. The Manager may be removed after the following procedure.
30 days prior to the proposed date of termination, the Board shall adopt a preliminary resolution setting out the reasons for dismissal. The preliminary resolution may suspend the Manager, but he shall continue to be paid his compensation for the next calendar month following the adoption of the resolution. Upon receipt of the resolution, the Manager may request a full public hearing before the Board. If requested, the Board shall hold such a hearing not earlier than 20 days after the request nor later than 30 days. The Board may then adopt a resolution of removal if necessary (KRS 83A.150).
The Board sets qualifications for the Manager, which shall include "professional training or administrative qualification, with special reference to actual experience in or knowledge of accepted practice regarding duties of the office (KRS 83A.150)." The Manager is the Chief Administrative Officer of the City, and exercises the following executive powers and whatever other powers may be delegated to him by ordinance.
- Shall have direct responsibility to the Board for the proper administration of all duties assigned to him
- Shall recommend personnel decisions to the Board for its action
- May appoint persons to temporary positions without approval of the Board subject to such conditions as may be imposed by the Board
- Shall prepare and submit a budget proposal to the Board and be responsible for its administration once adopted
- Shall keep the Board advised of the financial condition of the City and make recommendations as he deems advisable
- Shall maintain liaison with other local governments regarding interlocal contracting and joint activities
- Shall supervise all City departments and the conduct of the employees and officers, and require reports from such as deemed desirable
- Shall enforce the City Manager's Plan, ordinances, and applicable statutes
- Shall promulgate procedures to insure the orderly administration of the functions of the City, subject to approval by the Board (KRS 83A.150,).
- The City Manager may declare delegate powers and duties to subordinate officers, and all such delegations shall be by municipal order (KRS 83A.150).