Jump to Open Burning Regulations
This list is to be used after obtaining all Danville Building and Planning and Zoning requirements and State Fire Marshal approval.
Danville Boyle County Building Inspector (859) 238-1107
Danville Boyle County Planning and Zoning (859) 238-1235
Temporary Certificate of Occupancy for Consumer Fireworks Retail Sales
- Must comply with all State Laws and Regulations and have current State Registration number
- Obtain and complete City of Danville Temporary Certificate of Occupancy for Retail Sales of Fireworks application
- Pay the $100.00 permit fee at City Hall
- After location is set up and prior to opening call City of Danville Fire Department for a Site Inspection (859) 238-1211
- Temporary Certificate of Occupancy will be issued after site inspection is complete and site is in compliance
The site inspection will include the following items and forms to have on hand
- Location of sales is as stated on application
- Tent must have certificate of Flame Resistance and must include the State Fire Marshal’s Stamp
- Certificate of Insurance listing Workers’ Compensation
- City of Danville Business License
- Fire Extinguisher with current inspection tag
- Posted No Smoking Signs
- Posted No Sales Under 18 years of age
- Storage is as listed in State Fire Marshal’s application and as reported to the fire department
Public Fireworks Display Check List
- Obtain fireworks permit from the State Fire Marshals Office
- Complete the application
- Submit application with all required paperwork
- Pay the $100.00 permit fee at City Hall
- The City of Danville Fire Chief will then sign off on the application
Public Fireworks Display Inspection
- The City of Danville Fire Department will make a on site safety inspection the evening of the display prior to the display after the initial set up is complete.
- The inspection will include verification of the site and qualifications of the on-site personnel, and to ensure proper safety practices are in place.
Commonwealth of Kentucky Regulations
Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction
Division of Fire Prevention
101 Sea Hero Road Suite 100
Frankfort KY 40601-5405
Office Phone Number: (502) 573-0382
Fax Number: (502) 573-1004
Fireworks Registration Types
- Limited Sales – sale of fireworks as described in KRS 227.702(1)
- Seasonal Sales - sale of fireworks described in KRS 227.702 (1) (2) and/or (3) during the following time frames: June 10th through July 7th December 26th through January 4th.
- Primary Permanent – year round sale of fireworks described in KRS 227.702 (1) (2) and/or (3)where fireworks are the primary source of business.
Fireworks Law & Regulation Requirements
- Pursuant to House Bill 333 of the 2010 Regular Session each site at which fireworks are offered for sale shall have a firework registration certificate displayed in a conspicuous location.
- No person or business shall give, offer for sale or sell any consumer fireworks listed in KRS 227.702 to any person under the age of 18.
- No person under the age of 18 shall sell consumer fireworks at consumer fireworks retail-sales facility unless the individual is supervised by a parent or guardian.
- A copy of a sales and use tax permit obtained from the Department of Revenue must be provided with the fireworks application to the State Fire Marshal as a condition of registration. To obtain your sales and use tax permit contact the Division of Sales and Use Tax at (502) 564-5170, or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A fireworks registration form shall be submitted to the State Fire Marshal’s Office at least 15 days prior to sell of fireworks or pay an additional fee of $100.00 will be assessed for late submittals.
- A copy of the storage notification shall also be submitted to the local fire department having jurisdiction and the State Fire Marshal’s Office at least 15 days prior to opening firework sales each year.
Building Code Regulations
- Check with local government to ensure compliance with local laws and ordinances ie Local Building Codes, Planning and Zoning
- A temporary certificate of occupancy for firework retail must be obtained prior to the sale of consumer fireworks in tents or temporary stands. A certificate of occupancy for firework retail must be obtained prior to the sale of consumer fireworks in year round facilities. You can contact the Division of Building Code Enforcement at 502-573-0373 or local building code official.
- Each site shall comply with all provisions of the Kentucky Building Code and 2006 edition of NFPA 1124 (National Fire Protection Association)
- Existing businesses that sell the full line of consumer fireworks under KRS 227.702 must submit plans and details to illustrate compliance with NFPA 1124.
- For temporary structures submit the necessary plans and permits to the appropriate authorities.
Consumer Fireworks Retail Sales (CFRS) Permanent Structures Facilities
- For permanent structures submit the necessary plans and details along with registration to the appropriate authorities.
- For the purpose of building codes all CFRS will be classified as new structures. Any new CFRS structures shall be detached stand-alone buildings.
- Sale of consumer fireworks in a CFRS structure shall comply with provisions as set forth in Chapter 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3 of the 2006 edition of NFPA 1124.
- In accordance with 2006 edition of NFPA 1124 Chapter 7.2.4 - Retail sale of display fireworks shall be prohibited at any mercantile or consumer fireworks retail sale facility.
Mercantile Retail Sale
- Mercantile Stores shall comply with chapter 7.5 of NFPA and chapter 7.3.15 through 184.108.40.206 of NFPA 1124.
- Existing businesses that sell the full line of consumer fireworks under KRS 227.702 must submit plans and details to the appropriate authorities to illustrate compliance with 2006 edition of NFPA 1124.
Stands / Temporary (Tent) Structures
All facilities designated as Stands or temporary stands shall comply with Chapter 7.6 of NFPA 1124.
Sales will not be permitted within Multiple Tenant Buildings. The sale of consumer fireworks is required to be in a detached stand-alone building.
Open Burning Regulations
Request a Burn Permit
Contact the Fire Marshal (859) 238-1211
Open Burning is Any Open Flame in the Environment
Common types of approved open burning are for land management, such as burning of site-developed brush or the clearing of a garden plot. A burn permit shall be requested prior to any open burning within the City of Danville. The permit is issued through the Office of the Fire Marshal free of charge.
On-Site Inspection & Compliance
An on-site inspection is required in order to verify compliance with the provisions of Kentucky Administrative Regulation 401KAR630.005 and City of Danville Ordinance 1343, Chapter 6, Section 2; as well as other applicable statutes.
The holder of the permit is subject to the limitations specified; any conditions other than those indicated constitutes a violation of the permit and is subject to citation by law enforcement personnel. Even with permission and compliance, an open burn site may be ordered discontinued if the open burn presents dangerous, hazardous, or unhealthy conditions, as per the fire prevention code and local ordinance. The permit is non transferable and may be used for only one location and one permissible open burn. The permit shall be present at the site of the open burn and shall be available for inspection upon request by officials from the City of Danville.
Download Open Burning Brochure
The "Open Burning Learn Before You Burn" brochure gives additional information of the Division for Air Quality's rules and regulations on open burning. Introduction to Air Quality